Saturday, March 20, 2010

Christian business?

I had what has come to be an uncomfortably common experience today. A business that shall remain nameless, called to answer some questions I had about an item I was receiving from them. Previous conversations had led me to believe that they were making every effort to correct the problem. However the phone call I received was to tell me that the problem could not be corrected because it was caused by their software automatically. This is where I have a huge disconnect. I do video work on a professional level for high end corporate clients. I could never get away with telling a client that the problem can't be fixed because the software did it automatically. Somehow since I am a Christian and they are a Christian business I am supposed to just take their comment in stride as if they have done their do diligence and oh well that’s just the way it is. In the secular marketplace where I work, my vendors would have told me to get new software or get lost. Far too often Christian businesses get away with doing poor work. We should be the reference standard for excellent work. People should want us over everyone else because of our integrity and excellence. When Christians work they ultimately work for an audience of one. If the widget you make or the service you provide is not done for the King of kings then who are you doing it for? A God focused life will drive us to work as to the Lord Jesus and not men. Os Guiness in his book "The Call" talks about Justin Martyr recording that over 100 years after Jesus' death, plows he had made were still in use. Plows made by Jesus and Joseph were the best. They are the ones that people wanted. They were so well made that they were still in use after all those years. What kind of work do we do? Is our work done with the goal of pleasing our Lord Jesus?

2 comments:

  1. I wish I had more to say, but this is so true. Not only that, but businesses that do so with a God focused intent will more than likely be bless by God in return. Not that we do so for that purpose, but you get my point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree wholeheartedly! A company that advertises itself as being christian, represents Christ. As christins we are supposed to be following the biblical command to "do all as to the Lord. I really enjoy reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete